Brother UK named as leader in sustainability programs and services in new report


Brother UK has been named as a ‘leader’ in sustainability programs and services in the most recent IDC Sustainability MarketScape assessment.

The business technology and solutions provider has been recognised for initiatives such as its “Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050” commitment and remanufacturing capabilities in the new report, which assesses the sustainability programs and services of print vendors using the IDC MarketScape model.

The IDC report evaluates print vendors based on key sustainability metrics in corporate strategies, business operations, products and business models, and governance, risk and compliance measures. 

Brother was highly rated on its efforts to minimise the environmental impact of its business activities based on the “Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050”, which includes ambitious, Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) certified, goals to reduce emissions by 65% on 2015 levels by 2030. 

The business was also praised for its considerations of environmental performance at every stage of a product's life cycle, from design, development and manufacturing to customer usage, disposal and recycling. It follows the business recently becoming the first print brand to be awarded the Blue Angel certification for a remanufactured toner cartridge. 

Users are encouraged to return used toner cartridges to be remanufactured at the business’ carbon neutral Recycling Technology Centres, including one in in Ruabon, North Wales. Brother’s remanufacturing scheme guarantees that zero-waste is sent to landfill, with 86% of the toners it remanufactures turned into ‘as new’ cartridges and the remaining 14% recycled. Using this process produces 33% less CO2 than creating toner cartridges from virgin material.

Brother also promotes the conservation and restoration of ecosystems and recently celebrated its 15-year partnership with rainforest conservation charity Cool Earth. Since the partnership began in 2009, the business has supported seven communities across the Amazon and New Guinea forest, protecting 32 million trees across 78,000 hectares, which store over 50 million tonnes of carbon and are crucial in combatting climate change.

The Worldwide Sustainability Programs and Services Hardcopy 2023 Assessment by IDC MarketScape said: “Brother is a strong contender for those SMBs looking for printing devices that can deliver on a full range of key sustainability attributes. Brother’s products can help customers to reduce their environmental impact through a broad range of ecofriendly product features. Brother should also be on the shortlist of vendors when looking for a supplier that is investing to drive sustainability throughout its own operations.”

Louise Marshall, director of ESG and organisational development at Brother UK said: “Partnering with sustainable suppliers is a top priority for businesses. Being recognised as a leader in sustainability programs and services will help to give our customers greater confidence that they’re partnering with the right print vendor, while representing a reflection of our genuine commitment to ESG across our operation and product services. 

“We’re proud to be working towards a clear, long-term global vision for a sustainable society, focused on improving resource circulation, the reduction of CO2 emissions and supporting biodiversity conservation.”

*IDC MarketScape Worldwide Sustainability Programs and Services Hardcopy 2023 Vendor Assessment, doc #US49892223, December 2023

Add a Comment

No messages on this article yet

Editorial: +44 (0)1892 536363
Publisher: +44 (0)208 440 0372
Subscribe FREE to the weekly E-newsletter