|INFORMATION: Free information is available from Zetes on the subject in this story. Click here to request a copy|
Zetes, the auto-ID solutions provider, has launched Zetes Forklift Fleet Management, an advanced wireless solution designed to help fleet owners better manage the significant cost and safety issues associated with forklift trucks and other materials handling equipment.
The system quantifies fleet utilisation by monitoring each vehicles precise movements to record who is driving, where, when and for how long.
This latest addition to the Zetes portfolio comes at a time when the marketplace for fork-lift truck (FLT) ownership in the UK is rising steadily. Fork Lift Truck Association (FLTA) research reports around 250,000 vehicles were in operation at the end of 2006 and new truck purchases recorded at just over 31,000 per quarter in 2007. However the cost of ownership associated with FLT type vehicles can be considerable. Servicing overheads in particular can be high, with some vehicles required to be out of commission for up to 86 hours, according to figures released by a leading automotive company.
Zetes new system has been shown to provide a return on investment (ROI) within 12 months and includes 300+ standard management reports. Existing users include 3M, Chrysler, Deere & Co., Ford, Hallmark, Nissan, Toyota, the US Navy, the US Postal Service, and the US Transportation Security Administration.
The system is flexible enough to be deployed in conjunction with any truck-mounted terminal on all forklift type vehicles including cherry pickers. It can be integrated with existing service maintenance software and includes real-time reporting tools such as true peak usage graphs and visual playback of historical movements.
Key features and benefits of Zetes Forklift Fleet Management include:
- Reduced fleet size through simultaneous usage analysis monitoring. The system is able to recommend the potential elimination of under-utilised vehicles with continued low usage profiles and include data relating to all associated costs.
- Reduced maintenance costs with preventive maintenance planning and the complete elimination of paper-based record keeping. Zetes system supports automatic scheduling of preventative maintenance based on weighted factors, real-time notification of emerging repair issues identified by drivers, and (for electric vehicles) automatic software-based battery rotation management.
- Improved operator safety by restricting driver access using RFID key or PIN-based systems and in-built automated vehicle health check procedures. The system will also detect driver training requirements and incidents of dangerous driving.
- Improved operator productivity through effective management of warehouse traffic hotspots with real-time location tracking and monitoring of vehicle usage patterns, including peak usage reports.
- Increased driver accountability with vehicle impact sensors and programmable no-go areas.
A Fleet Management Solution was a natural addition to our product portfolio, and comes at a time when the Government is placing increasing amounts of pressure on all organisations to improve health & safety in the workplace, said James Hannay, managing director, Zetes. Many of our existing customers operate FLT fleets, and are keen to reduce fleet maintenance costs, maximise utilisation levels, mimimise downtime and reduce the high costs of repairing damaged vehicles. We can enable them to achieve this, and at the same time, improve operator efficiency and safety through best practice with a proven solution.